What if I told you that you no longer have to choose the single best photo or video from an event, experience or moment on Instagram? Awesome, right? Well, it’s true! Now you can select up to 10 photos and videos in one post and swipe through to view them much like a carousel ad. Except it’s not an ad, it’s your very awesome Instagram album!
Here’s How The New Instagram Album Feature Works:
When you begin to select a photo to upload, you’ll see a new icon to select multiple photos and videos. You can easily determine how your post will display. You can tap and hold to change the order of the photos and videos you select, apply a filter to everything at once or edit each individual selection. As of now there is only one caption for the photo album. These photos are square only.
An “Instagram album” (not the official name) will display a small icon on your profile grid located on the first photo or video of your post indicating there is more to see. When viewing other posts in your feed, you’ll see blue dots at the bottom of photo album posts to let you know you can swipe to see more in that post. You can like and comment on them just like a regular post.
My first thought was “content overkill,” but, after seeing a few neat ways the feature has been used I realized it’s actually quite the opposite.My early observations have shown that this new feature is clever and inspires creativity.Click To Tweet
Here are a few creative ways you can use the new feature:
- Are you a cook? Or do you just love to cook? Either way, this feature is great for recipes.
- Show your stuff! If you have work that you’ve created or products that you want to showcase, you can show many examples in one post.
I love what Canva did in a post showcasing one of their color combinations: Cool Meadow.
- Get feedback! Show a series of outfits, or design projects and ask your audience to choose their favorite.
- Chronicle a Before and After experience like a makeover or design project.
- You just took a fabulous trip and you want to share ten of your best photos without flooding your follower’s newsfeed.
- Instead of posting behind the scenes photos of your business each day, take one photo every day and post a “My Week At A Glance” album at the end of the week.
- You’re attending an event, a fancy dinner, a party or celebration and you want to share your experience from beginning to end with a combination of photos and videos.
- Let’s face it. This is a good way to post a bunch of selfies without being incredibly obnoxious. Almost 🙂
Have you tried the Instagram album feature? What creative uses have you seen or used? Please share below in the comments.